One Nation Under a Groove
6th June - 31st August
Youth Club Archive presents One Nation Under a Groove, a 3 month exhibition at Southbank Centre’s for the Festival of Love. The exhibition explores the key role youth movements and subcultures play in forging relationships, friendships, families and communities. Covering the rich history of the tribes, subcultures, sounds and style that span the generations and genres.
The exhibition includes 120 iconic images from the PYMCA featuring over 50 photographers including Gavin Watson, David Swindells, Janette Beckman, Normski, Phil Knott, Derek Ridgers, Chris Porsz and Richard Braine.
A screening room showing the highly acclaimed Music Nation series by Dazed Digital alongside documentaries from independent film-makers including Will Robson-Scott, Simon Wheatley and Nick Cunard. Guest collections from British Record Shop Archive, Fiona Cartledge from Sign of the Times, Steve Proctor resident DJ at Shoom, Jon Swinstead, Wayne Hemingway and the Hyman Archive.
The exhibition also includes interactive areas including;
- Youth Club photo-booth in collaboration with Simple Booth
- Design your own custom t-shirt on 27” touch screens with YR Store.
- Free drop in badge making workshops
- #COLLECTIVEMEMORY installation
- Our Soundtrack installation. Listen HERE
- Live art from guest artists including Inkie, Mark Wigan and Panik
- Street Photography workshops